Meatloaf ... From a Meatloaf Hater

Growing up, I HATED meatloaf ... my mom would make it probably once every few weeks, using, I'm sure that 70/30 ground beef ::shudder:: ... and serve it up with the boxed potato buds mashed potatoes. Ick. There was just something about the whole baked meat thing that made me want to gag every time.

Then of course, you got Hubby, the big meat dude who LOVES meatloaf, and again, he would make it and I would just look at it, thinking to myself, it's just a solid piece of ground beef cooked to death. Ick.

At least he made REAL mashed potatoes, lumps and all ;-)

So with the sickness making its way through the household, Hubby and I were laying in bed Saturday morning discussing how we felt and what we wanted to make for dinner. He said "meatloaf". I said "ick". But then I said, fine, I'm sure I have every thing on hand to make it and if it makes him feel better, so be it, I will make meatloaf ::shudder::




Thankfully, Pinterest is still the love of my life.

The original recipe is here ... we didn't modify it too much, but a little (of course!). So here's how we did it:

1 lb of 90/10 ground beef
1 lb of 80/20 ground beef (honestly, because that was the 2 packages I pulled out of the freezer!)
1 cup of oyster crackers, crushed (because that's what I had in the pantry)
1 cup milk
1/2 package of dried onion soup mix
2 eggs
3/4 cup diced onions (finely diced)
1 tsp salt
generous amount of black pepper
few dashes or Worcestershire sauce
AND
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar (consider using 1/4 cup if you don't want a sweet sauce)
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce

Mix the crackers, milk, eggs, onions, soup mix, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce in large bowl. Add the ground beef and mix well.

Grab a large sheet of wax paper and form a loaf about 8 inches by 4 inches wide.

Line a large glass baking dish with foil and transfer the loaf to dish. Thinking back, we had used parchment paper and I could have just laid THAT in the dish! Doh.

Mix up the ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce in small bowl (make sure you remove the sugar lumps BEFORE you add the liquid ingredients ;-) ).  Brush about half the mixture over the top of the loaf.

Bake in oven, uncovered, for about 70 minutes at 350 degrees. After 70 minutes, test for doneness (no pink remains) and then, if you have the option to convection roast, turn that on for about 10 minutes. Otherwise, you can do a low broil to brown the top a little.

Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes or so. Using a spatula, cut into slices and brush the rest of the sauce over the top. (this is totally optional. I think the sauce was a tad too sweet and probably would skip this last step next time)




Serve up with a side of REAL mashed potatoes and green veggie of choice. Sit back and think, hey, I could become a meatloaf convert!



*Note: I suppose I should tell the truth and say as a kid, I was super picky and turned my nose up at just about everything ... but meatloaf has been one of those things that I would NOT willingly eat or make ... maybe now, yes!

Looking forward to linking up with some great blog hops ... make sure you check them out! In and Out of the Kitchen, MemoriesTasty TuesdaysTuesdays At Our HomeHow To TuesdayHandmade TuesdayMaking a HomeShow Me The GoodsTotally Tasty TuesdayAll My Bloggie FriendsShare Your Stuff TuesdayTuesday Talent ShowFat TuesdayPenny Pinching PartyThe Gathering SpotAnti-Procrastination TuesdaysKitchen Tip TuesdaysShow Me What Ya GotWhat's Cooking WednesdayIts a Party!Works For Me WednesdaySugar and SpiceWake Up WednesdayWhatever Goes WednesdayWednesday WhatsitsReal FunWhat I Whipped UpWork It WednesdayLovely Ladies, Weekly CreativeDomestic Superhero, All Things ThursdayThe Weekly CreativeTasty ThursdayFull Plate ThursdayCreate It ThursdayFabulously Frugal ThursdayCrafty Thursday ObsessionsFrugal Food ThursdayShowcase Your TalentThink Tank ThursdaySimple Lives ThursdayFoodie FridayGet Real Frugal FridayFrugal FridaysFood on FridayFreakin Did It FridayFeature FridayThe Pin JunkieFreedom FridayFriday FavoriteFoodie Friday, A peek into my paradiseFoodie Friends FridayFun Friday blog hop, Friday FavoritesTGIF BLOG HOPWeekend RetreatWhat’s ShakinWeekend WondersWeekend PotluckGet Him Feed Anything GoesDwell on FridaysFriday Foodfight, Lil Luna Link PartyFoodie FridayTGI Friday Friday with Friends, Simple Living Foodie FridayInspirationsWeekend WanderWeekly RoundupFeature Yourself SaturdayThe Party BunchI Gotta CreateShow and Tell SaturdayShow Off WeekendShow Stopper SaturdaySweet and SavoryThe Weekend CreativeWeekend PotluckWill Cook For SmilesStrut Your Stuff SaturdaySaturday Show & TellSuper Saturday Show & TellSay G'day SaturdayNot Bad SundayPotluck PartySunday ShowcaseSavory SundaySundae ScoopSuper SundayMop It Up MondayCreative MondayThe ScoopMelt In Your Mouth MondayDinner Time RecipesShow Me What You GotMade By You MondayHunk of Meat MondaySweet Sharing MondayWhat’d You Do This WeekendMarvelous MessMaking It CuterMotivated MondayTime To SparkleMealtime MondayTime To Sparkle, Makin You Crave MondayClever ChickCreative Corner Blog HopMake Your Own MondayMix it Up Monday,  Save Money Monday


Comments

  1. Looks good. I must admit I am not much of a meatloaf eater either. My hubby loves it!! We had some once at a restaurant that he loved, but I haven't been able to find a close match. I will have to give this a try!! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs