That Silver Stuff

Back in January, I opted to go for the REAL silver in the kitchen ...


It's worked out real well, and I do feel special when I eat ... nothing like a nice, solid fork in your hand when you eat ...

With almost 11 months of use, a LOT of hand washing and a few dishwasher modes, it's starting to get a 'little' tarnished.



Some, more so than others.

So it's been in the back of my mind to find an EASY, frugal way to clean the stuff, without having to sit there and POLISH it for hours on end. I don't know about you, but I've got plenty of other stuff to be doing than polish silver.

So doing my usual linky parties, I came across this one post and was like, WOWEE ... that sounds like a good thing for ME to give a try!

Yup. I have everything ...

 


Tin foil.

Baking Soda. Surprise!

Boiling water.

Lay foil in sink. I'm lucky in that our kitchen sinks are ceramic and HUGE. Hubby told the GC when we remodeled the house that he wanted to be able to fit two 20 pound turkeys in the sinks. Ok, you got it, Buddy!

 


Toss in the silverware. Now, you know me, the quickest route ... so ummm, I dumped ALL the forks in at one time. Not a problem for most households, except that I have 2 sets of silver, which equals 48 total. That's alot of forks.

Sprinkle (generously) with baking soda.



Pour hot water (carefully) over the silver. Watch in amazement. Feel the need to wait til Hubby comes home to show HIM with the rest of the stuff. Think, nah, better to finish the project NOW and show him the end results.

Yeah. It works. BUT not like I expected.

The tarnish did NOT wash right off. I ended up soaking the stuff in a foiled lined Tupperware tray for about 30 minutes. Then one by one, gently swished the piece back and forth over the foil.



THAT worked. BEAUTIFULLY. Except, I have a LOT of silver so it was an all day long event.  Even Hubby hopped in a few times to give a few swipes ... he also commented about the smell. There was a distinctive smell from the chemical reaction going on ... PLEASE do not ask me if this is safe for your silver as I don't know ....

Here's what I do know though:  I have some beautiful silverware to use everyday and it's purty, yet again :-D ... and that, my Friends, makes me a very very happy camper.

 
 
Linking up with some of these great hops ... go check them out!  Weekend Meal Planner, Not Bad Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Mop It Up Monday, Mangia Monday, Creative Monday, Potluck Party, Sunday Showcase, Savory Sunday, Made By You Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Show Me What You Got, , Hunk of Meat Monday, Meatless Monday, Marvelous Mess, Mealtime Monday, Mix and Mingle, Making It Cuter, Motivated Monday, Whats In The Gunny Sack, Makin You Crave Monday, I Gotta Try That Mondays, Clever Chicks, Creative Corner Blog Hop, Monday Mania, Make Your Own Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Tempt My Tummy, Tuesday At The Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Timeout, Handmade Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Frugal Tip Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Teach Me Tuesdays, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Penny Pinching Party, The Gathering Spot, Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays, Kitchen Tip Tuesdays, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Show Me What Ya Got, Show Me What You Got, What's Cooking Wednesday, Show and Tell, Wheat Free Wednesday, Whatcha Whipped Up, Its a Party!, Recipe Swap, Works For Me Wednesday, Sugar and Spice, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Homemade By You, Lil Luna Link Party, Whole Foods Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Hearth and Soul, Super Link Party, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Full Plate Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Frugal Food Thursday, Somewhat Simple, Showcase Your Talent, Simple Lives Thursday, Frugal Fridays, Food on Friday, Freakin Did It Friday, Show Your Stuff, Anything Goes, Dwell on Fridays, Foodie Friday, Friday Foodfight, Foodie Friday, Simple Living Foodie Friday, Weekend Warmth, Inspirations, Weekend Wander, Simply Delicious Saturday, Weekly Roundup, Feature Yourself Saturday, I Gotta Create, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Saturday Link& amp; Greet, Saturday Show & Tell, Say G'day Saturday
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs