Pantry Salad

I'm trying REAL hard to post more pics of the foods I make, just to show you, yes, we made it and we ate it :) And also, because we DO eat with our eyes, right?

Anyways ... this is an old recipe that I had pulled from our local newspaper several years back, under a headline reading: How To Use Up Your Hurricane Supplies.

Since the three main ingredients are usual staples, it's easy for me to make and easy to improvise for those items you don't have.

Pantry Salad (aka chicken, black beans and corn salad)


1 can of chicken breast, drained and flaked (I've used 2 in the past for a more meaty filling)
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of corn, rinsed and drained
1 tbs cumin



juice of 2 limes (I LOVE that handheld gadget!)
1/4 oil (olive, canola, whatever)
salt and pepper
red or orange bell pepper, diced
4 scallions, chopped fine

(optional if you have)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
jalapenos, sliced, to your preference

AND:
avacado, diced
cilantro finely chopped
(of course, Hubby hates both of these so it's a no go for my household, but I'd love to do that!)

Mix all in bowl, let sit for an hour or more (flavors get better the longer you let it sit).


There are so many ways you can doctor this up to your preferences, and this makes a great quesadilla filling!

Hubby prefers to eat it straight, the way it is ...

Linking up with GCC Recipe Swap ... check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs