Turkey Meatballs

Really, it was simply my meager attempt to make them a little healthier. I've come to the conclusion that to have the absolutely luscious yumminess that restaurant style meatballs have, they can NOT be low fat and/or healthier. Oh well. They were at least edible, but got "eh, yeah" for an opinion. Not quite what I was striving for.

I got the original recipe from Fake It Frugal (which is a pretty cool little site to browse around if you've got time ... makes me want to start crafting!) ... but of course, I changed things up a bit because I am doing a Pantry Challenge ... so here's her original recipe and below is MINE.

3 lbs OR about 40 oz ground, lean turkey breast (yes, 2 20oz packages is what I used, why did you ask?)
1 cup ground bread crumbs, italian style
1 1/2 hot dog buns that were on their last leg, finely torn apart, crumbled, small pieces
2 tbs fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
handful of fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup real parmsean cheese, grated (um, I suppose you could use the green can stuff IF that's all you have)
dash of salt
1 tbs of italian seasoning.

Mix all except for meat in large bowl. Add turkey and mix well. Allow to sit for at least an hour in the fridge (mine sat overnight).

Using an ice cream scoop (or a mellon scoop) and make the meatballs about the size of a golf ball (which I have a very bad conception of apparently). Place meatballs on a sprayed baking sheet. Place them sort of close together as they will shrink a little bit ... drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top and bake at 350 for about 25 to 30 minutes. Take my advice and do turn roll them otherwise the wiseguys that show up for a free meal will make fun of the FLAT meatballs.

These were good, but not great. They would have been MUCH better had I put them in with the sauce to simmer a while. So I will not toss the recipe out just yet, but will continue tweaking it til it fits our taste. ...

Linking up with Tasty Tuesday ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs