Homemade Burger Buns

I got the recipe from Pennies on a Platter and she got it from Smitten Kitchen. Here's the link to Pennies On A Platter ... if you have bread issues, then be sure to check out this link ... pretty helpful!

and here is how I made them:

1 pkg rapid rise yeast
2 1/2 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
3 tbs milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tbs butter, unsalted and room temp

Mix everything but milk and butter in the big kitchen aide mixer using the paddle. I had to dig mine out of the laundry room cabinet and then dust it off and wash the bowl and all. But that's ok, I love my kitchen aide and am very sad that I haven't used it much lately. It's currently on the kitchen counter in it's new home.

So. Add the flour and mix. Once all combined, replace the paddle with the dough hook and let it go for 6 to 8 minutes to knead.

The dough is very very soft. Spray large bowl with non stick spray and dump dough in and turn over to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and say bye by for 1 1/2 to 2 hours til it's doubled in size.

Dump dough out on floured surface and separate in to 8 even pieces. Make into balls and press lightly on top to flatten for a bun like shape. Place on a baking sheet coverfed with parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Spray your plastic wrap and place lightly over these babies and let them ist for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours til doubled.

Place large pan with water in bottom of oven (lowest rack). Preheat to 400 degrees. Brush buns with egg wash and slip them in for 15 minutes or so, rotate pan half way through.

Cool on wire rack.  Once cooled, slice in half and enjoy. I toasted mine on the grill before eating with the burgers topped with swiss cheese and sauteed shrooms .... just remember that fresh bread seems to *toast* much faster than packaged bread ... in other words, you could have charred edges quickly so keep an eye on them :)

*I would try these again. They felt 'heavy' but were fairly airy looking once cutting in half. I didn't have bread flour which is specifically what the recipe called for so I may just add bread flour to my list and try again. I also need to be sure to flatten them a bit as mine got real fluffy (thought they would spread outward, not upward!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs