Herby Rice Pilaf

3/24/2007.

That's the date stamp on this recipe from Stephskitchen. It's no longer an active website, although I really wish it was! She lived in the upper midwest and Hubby was in the service. But alas, I just googled it and nothing.

I prefer to make THIS when we have an herby type rice. BUT Hubby, for some reason, really likes that Rice A Roni (the San Francisco Treat) Herb and Butter stuff. Ummm, have you looked at the sodium content? 960 mg, 40%/44% of your daily recommended allowance. No thanks!

This, I think, is much healthier :)

1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tbs butter
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (really, any less than reduced sodium?)
1 envelope instant chicken noodle soup (which I never have, so I use a ramen package of seasoning, BUT see the note below!)
1 tbs dried parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sage
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup spaghetti or angel hair pasta (or vermicelli IF you have it), broken into little pieces

In large nonstick skillet heat over medium low heat, saute the rice, onion and celery in butter, stirring, til rice is golden brown (whoa, that's just like the Rice A Roni stuff!).
Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and cover, reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, covered.

Serve and enjoy.

NOTE: Ok, so after I've made my reference to the ramen season package, I felt compelled to pull a package out and look at the sodium count. I know it's high: ummm.... 1880 mg, 78% of your daily requirement. Whoops. I knew there was a reason I didn't eat this stuff! BUT ... I'm quite certain that half of that sodium is for the noodles too ... seriously.

So ... we DO have other options, and there are times when I don't have that stuff in the house (can you believe it?) ... Just skip the whole Chicken Soup mix/Ramen soup mix and dice up some carrots, add a pinch of salt, a bit of parsley (and if you have any, marjoram is excellent!) and any other seasonings to your taste.

Yields approximately 6 servings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs