Crunchy Granola

I've been making this recipe for years ... but it's been a little while since I've made it lately ... so it's on my list of June recipes!

I've tried to reduce the sweetness (I think it's a little too sweet) by reducing the amount of brown sugar, but then it doesn't want to hold together all that well, so I recommend the full amount as listed.

This stuff is GREAT over yogurt ...

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups oats (not the quick cook type)
1 cup nuts, if desired

Preheat oven to 275. Line 2 cookies with parchment paper (or wax)

Mix sugar and water, microwave for 5 minutes til sugar is dissolved. Mix well. Add vanilla and salt to this liquid.

Have oats in large bowl, add liquid and nuts, mix well. Spread evenly on cookie sheets as thinly as possible. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour til golden and crunch BUT still a little pliable (don't CRISP it!)
Let cool, then add dry fruit if desired. Store in tightly sealed glass jar(s).

Linking up with Beauty and Bedlam Tasty Tuesday ... great post on motivation for the garden (um, I am locking my door and drawing the blinds based on her comment about zucchini, but I will take them blackberries!) Just an fyi, I still have seeds and sprouts growing like crazy in the napkins and ziplocs on my kitchen counter ... I just know that I'm going to dig up the garden, plant this stuff, and it's going to WILT AND DIE in 12 hours. One day while I'm at work. I just know it.

Comments

  1. I LOVE granola. But bc it's so fatty and unhealthy when I buy it prepackaged, I'd love to make it at home. This sounds like a great recipe. Anxious to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs