The Brown Derby - Vintage Old Fashioned French Dressing

I've got this cookbook that belonged to my Hubby's grandmother.

The Brown Derby Cookbook, circa 1949. She got it for her birthday from the wife of the owner of Silvana Electric Products, Inc. Hubby's grandfather owned an appliance store outside Detroit MI back in the day. Wow. That would explain the pretty pink oven and stove we had for so many years in the house we live in now. How I MISS that oven :)

Anyways ... I love cookbooks. And most folks who know me know it's almost always a perfect gift. I can forgo the cheesy little cupcake books, but give me a genuine cookbook with a variety inside and I'm good to go ... I will sit and read it as a regular book...sort of embarrassing!

Anyways, here's the recipe from the Brown Derby. It should be noted that they use this dressing as the base for a bunch of other dressings which I hope to get typed up and posted soon ...

1 cup water
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 1/2 tbs salt
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce (that stuffs been around forever!)
1 tsp English mustard (? had to look up. Google says, HOT with ground mustard seed. I'm thinking any stone ground stuff will suffice)
1 bead garlic, chopped (that would be one clove folks!)
1 cup olive oil
3 cups salad oil (I'm using canola!)

Blend all ingredients except the oils. Then add oil and mix well again. Chill, shake well before serving.

Keeps well in refrigerator. Can be made ahead and stored in a 2 qt mason jar (seriously? I love that!)

Do you have any vintage cookbooks that you use recipes from?

Linking up to Life As Mom Ultimate Recipe Swap. Check it out ... always lots of good links!

Comments

  1. I'm so exciting to find this! My hubby is obsessed with french dressing and this vintage recipe is cute, I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going nuts trying to post on the stuffed crust pepperoni post!! Google is giving me grief trying to post under my google id ... arrgggg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs