French Bread - cheap!

I have a few favorite sites that I try to visit a few times a week ... and one of them is the Frugal Girl.  One of my favorite features is her Wednesday Baking posts. This girl can BAKE.

So, the other night, as we were making pork chops and rice with brocolli and cheese, I was wishing for some bread to grill up too ... but alas, all I had was the pepperidge farm stuff and that just wasn't going to cut it, you know?

So, at 6pm at night (we don't eat til late on Saturdays), I pulled out my breadmachine and added:

1 cup of warm water
3 cups of flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 pkg of yeast

Turned it on dough cycle and walked away. Came back, rolled it out:


Let it rise for about 40 minutes and then baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes


Believe it or not, we had french bread by 9pm on the grill toasting. Yes, I did bake the bread in the oven. It was so dang easy (even a Cave Man can do it) that I made another loaf again on Sunday for the Cubanos, by memory and still turned out perfect. Huh. Who would have thought? Go ahead, give it a try, easy peasy.

Check out Kristin's original post for full details on baking ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs