Hot Browns, my way

I post about Hot Browns on my Menu Plan Mondays pretty frequently. And I always get side tracked by something else or just don’t feel like the hassle of doing it. Tonight, the day after Thanksgiving, no kids in the house, and hubby pretty much out on his back with back problems, I made it, using 2 big hunks of turkey breast that we had fried yesterday.

Oh lordy, why have I waited so long? Yeah, I know, I’ve said (any may have even put it in writing a time or two!) that a Hot Brown is just a glorified hot open face turkey sandwich. But after making it tonight and eating it, I must say, it deserves to be called so much more! This is definitely staying in my to go to recipe list … the sauce, even though it took a little time, was pretty much done in the time it took for the bacon to cook so not so bad if you are good at multitasking (and toasting the bread and remembering that oops, the turkey should be sitting out to take the chill out) … go ahead, have at it and let me know what you think!
Hot Brown Sandwich
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups 2% milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, room temperature and beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
Dried parsley as desired
8 slices toasted white bread, crust trimmed off
1 pound cooked turkey breast, thickly sliced (or chunky)
Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
8 bacon slices, fried crisp (I only did 5)
One medium size tomato cut in quarters and halved again (8 quarters)
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Gradually add flour, whisking constantly, until smooth and free from lumps. Gradually stir in milk and cream until sauce comes to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and well blended.
In a small bowl, beat egg. Gradually add 1 cup of hot sauce, 1/3 cup at a time, to the egg, stirring constantly. Gradually add egg mixture to remaining sauce, stirring constantly until well blended; add salt and pepper to taste with parsley.
For each Hot Brown sandwich, place two slices of toasted bread on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey. Nestle a tomato wedge in one corner and then other corner (2 total). Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler cross two pieces of bacon over the top, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings of two open-faced sandwiches each.
My notes: FYI – its pretty important that you gradually do the egg otherwise you will have scrambled egg pieces and pretty much ruin the sauce … keep the bread crust that you trimmed off after toasting to “sample” the sauce … trust me, you’ll be glad you did! Also, I DID use fresh Parmesan cheese. There's a time and a place for the shaker green stuff but I don't think is it.


Original recipe found at http://www.whatscookingamerica.com/ and as modified by me on 11/26/2010

Linking up with Jen over at (balancing!) Beauty and Bedlam Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods! Go check it out (and don't blame ME if you get sidetracked for an hour or so!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs