Recipe Review - Black Bean Soup

I had this on my menu and made it Monday night when I got home from work. But first, I started the bacon, onions & garlic and then sonny boy said he wanted to go to Target, and I NEEDED to go to Target (to return some stuff) so I finished dumping in the 2 cans of chicken broth and 3 cans of drained & rinsed black beans. Put in 1 tsp each of cumin & chili powder, set a lid at an angle on top, turned it to low and left the house. Before you all freak out now, Hubby came home within 20 minutes and the soup was not even simmering yet!!! I got home an hour later, turned it up to medium, took my little Braun immersion thingy (blender? chopper? Musher?) and pureed the heck out of the beans. I've had that thing since Princess was born, almost 19 years now, and I still forget that you can not hold the button on & take it out of the liquid ... ack! Anyways, this was yummy. Like real yummy. Like it's going in my soup file to make again and again ... woohoo!! Thanks Lynn for sharing this ... I was surprised that it was that good as simple as it was to make. I think next time, in addition to cheese & sourcream on top, I'll slice a few green onions too. Here's how I did it (almost exactly like Lynn but one less can of beans, and I noticed she said the next day was more like refried bean texture, so I think I will stick with the 3 cans) 5 slices bacon, cut small 1/2 onion, diced 3 cloves garlic, diced 2 cans of chicken broth 3 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp chili powder cheese & sour cream to top Start cooking bacon in soup pot, and add the onion & garlic. Saute til onion & garlic are soft. Dump in the broth, beans, chili powder & cumin. Stir. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook 30 minutes or so. IF you have an immersion thingy, use that to puree the beans a bit. If not, take half of soup & put in blender, but be careful as its real hot. Blend and mix back in with rest of soup. Serve ... this fed me & hubby 2 good size bowls and then 2 more for lunch on Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs