Beanless Chocolate Chili

Seriously, I don't know how else to label it? There are NO BEANS either ... I can remember years ago, eating chili and picking out every last bean and setting them on a plate. I wouldn't eat beans for nothing. Now? I love beans ... but, alas, this new eating plan takes away legumes which means no more beans ...



So, back to the name ... Chocolate Chili with Fire Roasted Tomatoes?

Nah ...

This is from Mel (where I gathered the mayo recipe) ... and it's actually a surprise that I even made this today ...

And only because, I opened up the guest fridge and lo and behold, there was 2 lbs of ground beef sitting in the shoe box. YIKES!!

So quick ... gotta make something ... and I really want to try a couple of new things while Hubby is gone for the 2 weeks ... so here we are ... landed right smack in the middle of WiFi land ...

I actually have Mel's book on the Kindle ... it was a free 'borrow' since I have Amazon Prime ... but I've decided I really don't like the cookbooks on Kindle. Sure, it's kind of cool to just have it propped up on the counter but still ...



So here's how I made it ...

2 tbs oil (olive or coconut)
2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 tbs of chopped garlic (or I guess, 4 cloves?)
2 tbs chili powder
2 tbs dried oregano
1 1/2 tbs unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp allspice (ummm, I used Accent as I am not quite sure what allspice is? I don't see it in the spice cabinet)
1 small can of tomato paste
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 can of beef broth
1 cup water

Ready?

Get a large, deep pot and add your oil. Once it's heated, add the onions and cook til slightly translucent ... then toss in the garlic. Add the ground beef, breaking it up as you toss it in and allow it to cook til no longer pink, stirring and breaking it up as you go ...

Add all your dry spices to a small bowl and mix them up.



Yes, the chocolate is a spice, so add it in!



Dump the spices on the meat and stir well.

Add the tomato paste and stir til combined. Add the rest of the liquid ingredients, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer, uncovered for 2 hours. Yes, it's a long process, all chili should be a long process.



Once the chili is reduced down and thickened, dish it up over and serve ... delicious!


Honestly, the smell didn't get me excited while it was simmering. And the first few samples didn't do anything either. But after sitting with a bowl, a few spoonfuls in to it, I was like "wow, this is pretty damn tasty" ...

Now, a few notes ... as always! I used coconut oil for my oil. Umm, next time I'll use olive oil. I can't wait to finish up the last container I have as I want to try another brand ... Hubby says it makes everything sweet, I think I agree with him.  I also used 90/10 ground beef and didn't think I needed to drain the fat/liquid before adding the spices. I should have. I hate the little bubbles of fat/grease/whatever on top while simmering.

Now, if you are truly going grain/gluten free/paleo/primal, you could make some cauliflower it's not really rice and serve this over the top ... top with some green onion slices and call it a day ...

Enjoy!

Linking up with these GREAT blog parties ... go check them out!  Not Bad Sunday, Potluck Party, Sunday Showcase, Savory Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Mop It Up Monday, Mangia Monday, Creative Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Show Me What You Got, Made By You Monday,  , Hunk of Meat Monday, Meatless Monday, Marvelous Mess, Mix and Mingle, Making It Cuter, Motivated Monday, Whats In The Gunny Sack, Makin You Crave Monday, I Gotta Try That Mondays, Creative Corner Blog Hop, Monday Mania, Make Your Own Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Tempt My Tummy, Tuesday At The Table, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Timeout, Handmade Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Frugal Tip Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Teach Me Tuesdays, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Penny Pinching Party, The Gathering Spot, Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays, Kitchen Tip Tuesdays, Domestically Divine Tuesday, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Show Me What Ya Got, Show Me What You Got, What's Cooking Wednesday, Its a Party!, Show and Tell, Recipe Swap, Works For Me Wednesday, Sugar and Spice, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Homemade By You, Lil Luna Link Party, Whole Foods Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Hearth and Soul, Super Link Party, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Thrifty Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Somewhat Simple, Showcase Your Talent, Simple Lives Thursday, Frugal Fridays, Food on Friday, Show Your Stuff, Anything Goes, Dwell on Fridays, Friday Foodfight, Foodie Friday, Simple Living Foodie Friday, Inspirations, Weekend Wander, Simply Delicious Saturday, Weekly Roundup, Feature Yourself Saturday, I Gotta Create, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Saturday Link& amp; Greet, Saturday Show & Tell, Say G'day Saturday


Comments

  1. Looks good! Could you tell that there was chocolate in it? Just wondering what kind of flavor it adds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, no, you can't tell it's chocolate, but would be wondering what that flavor is. Since it's unsweetened cocoa, it doesn't add a sweetness to it!

      Delete
  2. I love how dark this chili is--the color really pulls me in. While I like beans, I prefer chili w/out them. Oh...and I like the way you think: chocolate is a spice! Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Mel's Chocolate Chili for the first time just a few days ago, too. Very good! I'll definitely be making it again soon.

    Here's where I wrote about it: http://naturallyminimalist.com/2012/10/08/weekly-meal-plan-oct-1-7-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try this tomorrow, it looks so good. I will add beans to my recipe because I need the fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I add a little cocoa powder to my spaghetti sauce. like a teaspoon, it deepens the flavors:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very unusual. I can imagine it could be a tasty combo. I must have missed something though. No beans on your diet plan. I haven't heard of such a thing.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I wasn't sure about this combo, but after reading the recipe it looks very promising to me. I am definitely intrigued. Thank you for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks goods, I may have to try this, Thanks for linking up to Show Your Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate is a pretty common ingredient in chili, though I've never tried it. I love all the ingredients in this dish. It sounds so hearty and yummy too

    Thanks for linking up at Friday Food Fight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how sophisticated the taste of this chili must be... a real surprise to have the chocolate flavor. I'm pinning this. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful chili recipe! I've pinned it to try this fall. Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious!!! I love a little chocolate in my chili... and with a spicy rub on meat. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids would like this, I think, being a bean-picking bunch like you described. Thanks for posting the recipe and results. I love it when real people make real food and give a real review. Also, thanks for linking to Food on Fridays this week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Non Toxic Mosquito Spray

Smelly Shoe Fix!

Rice Cooker - Hard Boiled Eggs